Thursday, July 1, 2010

Earliest Evidence of Gaming?

Being that I spent my undergraduate career studying archaeology and anthropology and also having tried my hand as an archaeologist, I found these articles quite interesting. I especially like the suggestion in the second article that cave paintings were an early form of video games. I can just see it now, cavemen calling our various instructions: "Make Thag ride giant sloth!", "Make Thag get shiny rock!" "Thag have much magic. Now Thag battle Cro!" And later, "Ugh, Thag feel he need close eyes for long time. Thag also have strange thing inside...feel like me want to talk loud at friends with good words!" Who knows...their storytelling skills and instructions were most likely much more sophisticated than I can imagine...but it is fun to think about!


You can check out the scientific article here. You can check out the Kotaku article here.

2 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that I totally want to see a PS3 game about a questing caveman that uses those exact lines of narration in it, now?

    ReplyDelete