Monday, June 14, 2010

How do I love thee, Linux? Let me count the ways...

I was thinking about Linux recently, especially after we talked about it in class a couple of weeks ago. It really is pretty neat that it is open source (which I never really realized) and that it's free. There's a lot of other stuff that's great about it too. You can read the top 10 reasons to use Linux go to http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000117. TUX is an online magazine for Linux users.

I have used Red Hat before and really liked it. My old computer (when it was new) was giving me a hard time and eventually died. My dad and brothers brought it back to life but the only way it would run was on Linux, which was interesting. I ended up using Red Hat for a while until my dad figured out that Windows XP would run on my computer, but not Windows 2000. Recently, my family's computer died suddenly and again, the only way we could get it back was by using Ubuntu. Eventually, after taking everything off the old computer and backing it up, then wiping the hard drive, my dad reinstalled Windows XP, which has been working fine...for now!

When I eventually get a new desktop, probably sometime in the next few years, I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be using either Red Hat or Ubuntu as my operating system. Plus, I remember that there were some great nerd games on Red Hat that I liked....

No comments:

Post a Comment